Are you looking for fresh fish straight from the trawler ?
Head to the fish market in the fishing port of Courseulles-sur-Mer, to buy your supplies directly from the fishermen.
The fishing port has an authentic atmosphere, where locals and tourists alike enjoy meeting up.
This market has a taste of holiday !
The freshness of the sea, the glistening fish, the cries of the seagulls, the laughter of the fishermen… all the elements are there to stimulate the senses.
Very often, behind the stalls, it is the fishermen’s wives who sell the day’s catch. While preparing your fish, they will advise you on how to cook it or what sauce to use.
The men are on the trawlers. You may be lucky enough to see the landing of crates loaded with fresh fish, shellfish and scallops. Here there is no middleman ! The catch of the day is put directly on the stalls, ready for sale !
Here there is no middleman! The catch of the day is placed directly on the stalls, ready for sale.
Open every morning, all year round, it is particularly well stocked with fish from our coasts, shellfish and crustaceans.
Sole, plaice, pollack, sea bream, Saint-Pierre, turbot, mackerel … here you can buy directly from the fishermen to buy fresh fish, still quivering, just landed!
The stalls are also well stocked with shellfish (pink and grey shrimps, spiders, crabs, lobsters, whelks, etc.) and shellfish, including mussels and Norman oysters with their iodine scent and light hazelnut taste.
The star of the fish market is undoubtedly the scallop ! From October to May, they are present on the stalls every day.
Did you know that ?
More than 7 out of 10 scallops fished in France are from Normandy and they have the Label Rouge, a guarantee of quality.
The fishermen will give you some tips on how to eat it: snacked on with a few spices or pan-fried with a little Norman crème fraîche.
More than 30,000 tonnes are landed each year in the ports.
For sustainable and responsible fishing, this is highly regulated.
Fishing is only open from October to May to give the shells time to grow and thus protect the resources.
Credit : Loic Durand
- Fish market open from 8 am to 1pm every day, all year round and all day in summer, Quai des Alliés, Courseulles-sur-Mer
- Free parking nearby : Quai des Alliés, Place de Gaulle and Place du 6 juin.
Where to buy fresh fish ?
See the non-exhaustive list of fishmongers, oyster farmers and fishermen.
Also to be read :
- Weekly marketsIt’s a well-practised show every day, just a stone’s throw from your home or your holiday destination in Normandy. Here […]
- Night marketsStrolling through a night market in Normandy During the summer season, night markets are a real tradition ! It’s an […]
- The Courseulles-sur-Mer fish market, freshness and short circuitAre you looking for fresh fish straight from the trawler ? Head to the fish market in the fishing port […]