Let’s all adopt an eco-friendly approach and rediscover a gentle approach for ourselves and the environment.
A holiday to reconnect with nature.
- From Caen (medieval city of William) to the sea, enjoy the longest cycle path in Calvados (14km) from Caen to Douvres-la-Délivrande, former station of the Atlantic Wall, to reach the beaches of the DDay Sword sector at Langrune-sur-Mer, passing through fields of flax and wheat
- Join the Calvados network of cycle paths and greenways and enjoy stunning views of the Normandy beaches and the countryside.
Go cycling on the major routes of Normandy from Terres de Nacre:
Want to go further afield? From Ouistreham, the Vélofrancette will take you to La Rochelle.
Choose the EuroVelo 4 – La Vélomaritime ®, almost 1,500km by bike from the Channel to the North Sea! From Roscoff in Brittany to Dunkirk on the Belgian border, the cycle route crosses mythical sites such as the Pink Granite Coast, Mont-Saint-Michel and its bay, the D-Day landing beaches, the cliffs of Etretat and the Bay of Somme.
We have all the material you need to get organised! At your disposal free of charge in our reception offices: tourist map of Calvados à Vélo with cycle paths and greenways, map of Terres de Nacre etc… and advice on picnic areas and sites of interest!
The Accueil Vélo label (cyclists welcome)
Like the Quality Tourism Mark, Accueil Velo label (cyclists welcome) guarantees quality services adapted to the needs of cyclists along the route. This small green logo quickly identifies the approved structures, located less than 5km from the cycle routes.
In Calvados, there are more than 60 Accueil Velo partners. In the Terres de Nacre destination, 3 service providers have been awarded the label :
Juno Beach Centre, Courseulles-sur-mer :
Committed to a global sustainable development project, the Canadian museum has set itself the goal of reducing its greenhouse gas emissions by 5% per year by 2050. Attracting more and more bicycle tourists is therefore a priority, which is reflected in the reception equipment : arches, deposit bins, access to toilets and water points, rest areas, drinks and snacks dispensers, provision of free brochures, a warm and human Canadian welcome, etc.
By 2022, the Juno Beach Centre will open a bicycle reception area with around twenty parking spaces, some of which will be sheltered, with recharging facilities for electric bikes, secure storage for cargo bikes and trailer bikes, a free access repair station and around fifteen secure lockers.
Please note : The Juno Beach Centre and the SNCF have joined forces to offer a special low-carbon rate for visitors on bicycles who present their ticket at the museum entrance.
The Saint-Aubin hotel, Saint-Aubin-sur-mer :
A militant, ecological and commercial approach, obtaining the Accueil Velo label (cyclists welcome) is one of the ways to move towards a sustainable transition. The hotel is ideally located on the Vélomaritime route in Saint-Aubin-sur-mer.
For cycling guests, the hotel offers :
- a space to park bicycles in complete safety, as for motorcyclist guests,
- a repair kit, a water jet to wash their equipment and the possibility of washing their personal laundry.
Terres de Nacre for 2 of their offices, Courseulles-sur-mer and Saint-Aubin-sur-mer :
As part of the Accueil Velo label (cyclists welcome), the tourist office undertakes to :
- Promote the Accueil Velo service providers,
- Provide appropriate documentation: free cycling maps for Calvados and Normandy,
- Filling your water bottles,
- Recharge your mobile phones, batteries for bikes, GPS and tablets,
- Provide you with a repair kit,
- Offer you the possibility to rent muscle bikes for children and adults in partnership with Loc Vélo (only in summer).
Find out more about the Accueil Velo label (cyclists welcome).